Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consultant Links in the template: Best Practices

Current Local Time
    03:58 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Consultant Links in the template: Best Practices

I am looking to add dummy links for consultant models to our templates and the view templates therein.

1: Is there any reason not to just use a link made with RAC? I don't think there is a difference, from a category standpoint, but just want to be sure.
    2: I plan to have a link for Structural, one for MEP, and then one each for M, E & P. The plan being to delete the ones you don't need at the start of the project. Is this what others are doing?
    3: Anyone have any suggestions on gotchas related to category visibility? I don't know the MEP categories that well, so looking for the MEP equivalents of Analytical Model. You know, the things that you just must have off. Unless there is a much smaller list of what should be on.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Current Local Time
    08:58 AM

1. It will never matter. Doing a Reload From replaces everything about that file, EXCEPT the graphical overrides. Ive tested it, since we have all three.

2. Basically. I have a Structural, M, E, P, and an FP. If MEP comes in one model, i just use the M one. I dont see THAT much difference between what i want to control from MEP and M.

3. Generic Annotations. In fact, we keep the entire Annotations tab turned off in all of them, in every view, EXCEPT our Coordination views which have special View templates, for checking Grids, etc.

Structural: We keep theres at Fine LOD. (LOD in general is a bigger issue, IMHO). (We keep our view at Medium for Documents). But Medium + OOTB Structural Framing = crappy. We also turn all Framing Gray in RCP's, so we can show it and have it not be mud.

Spaces. Theyre finicky like Rooms. They dont print, unless theyre links. WTF. So we turn them off.

Ive got more Link Issues in general, but thats a whole other thread... Particularly with what i discovered recently about Phase Filters and Graphical overrides...

Current Local Time
    09:58 AM

This seems like a better fit for the question rather than the template thread so here goes:

So here is what I do first: Create a blank file, for EACH disciple. File New, Save as. Do NOTHING in the file. Make one for STR, M, E, P, and FP (just in case you have a job where they are all separate). ... Every consultant is different, but there are certain things I KNOW I don’t want to see: Their levels in elevations and sections. Their grids in plan. Analytical models. Rigid Links. Spaces. I want to gray out the steel in RCP so I see it for reference, but it doesn’t dominate the open to deck spaces of the project. Well, if you have these links in there, you can PRESET that stuff so you NEVER have to deal with it again.
    Are configuring these items in your view templates or is there a master setting someplace that I'm not finding? If it's in the VT is there a trick to copy the RVT link settings across the board?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    This seems like a better fit for the question rather than the template thread so here goes:

Are configuring these items in your view templates or is there a master setting someplace that I'm not finding? If it's in the VT is there a trick to copy the RVT link settings across the board?
    You cant do it to all links across the board, you do them one at a time. Thats why i prefer to do them in the template, than in every single file. I have tons of custimzations in my VT's for Linked Files.

Current Local Time
    02:58 PM

I added a few more dummy discipline models when adding the last round of touch ups to my old firm's template, specifically; "landscape", "civil", "interior", "shell" and one for a whole other "architecure" model.

Overkill perhaps but I was thinking it better to have them in the template (for when, if ever, such models were to come into play) than not.

But that was for my last firm, where the fact remained the multi-building sites they did would still eventually need more links setup anyway - which is where it'd be really nice to be able to duplicate a link definition for "alike" links.

Current Local Time
    07:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    it'd be really nice to be able to duplicate a link definition for "alike" links.
    agreed, before that wish can be realized, i'll add more dummys than normally needed, i mean in template, easy to delete than adding new link w/ lots of repeat work.

Current Local Time

Hello Mr Aron,
    I’m a MP engineer and I’m establishing my Revit template. I’ve read your replies to threads talking about Placeholder links in a Revit template as a good practice to manage the Graphical issues of linked files.
    I understood the process in general but I want to have a closer look at the settings.
    I will be very Grateful if you share with me some documentations and Revit file about this topic.

melektaktak.ing@gmail.com

Best regards,
    Melek Taktak

Current Local Time

Sorry Melek, I will not be sending our template and placeholder links "for review."

Everything you need to know about setting them up is explained in the forum. No need for you to see them.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Melek Taktak View Post
    Hello Mr Aron.....I will be very Grateful if you share with me some documentations and Revit file
    Whoa that was a quick one!!
    Last edited by Andres Franco; October 22nd, 2018 at 03:45 PM.

Current Local Time

Revit Placeholders Link

Thank you Mr, Aaron. For sure I'm not asking you to send me the company template, I just wanted an educational file.

I have a question : If I set the VG/Over of the placeholders linked files for all the project views, Why I still need to include this settings in my view templates as well ? Thank you