Thread: Flat Pad on Sloped Roof

Current Local Time
    09:04 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Flat Pad on Sloped Roof

I'm adding some HVAC units on a sloped roof. I need them to sit level, on a curb, on the sloping roof.

Is it possible to build a curb family that can sit on the face/plane of the sloped roof (with varied pitches and slopes), and stays level on top?

If not, what do people typically do for this situation?

B

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    10:04 AM

I haven't done it, but couldn't you make a family that hinges on one side and has an angle parameter for the sloped plane? Sort of like a door swing? I bet there's a way to input a pitch instead of an angle. Like 4:12 instead of 18.43 degrees.

Current Local Time
    01:34 AM

I made something like it: solar panel & geyser system. A generic model - roof based will do. I don't know how to change the pitch from degrees to ratio though. Isn't it better to use degrees though when your roof is pitch is in degrees?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geyser.png  

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

I do mine with pitch though. lol Even when you slope a roof in Revit, you can input the pitch in the properties window. You don't even need to put in the 12, it just knows. So for a 4:12 pitch, I just input 4 and hit enter. It puts the 12 automatically.

Current Local Time

Thanks all.

I was hoping someone had a trick to create a pad that would automatically adapt it's 'bottom' to the roof slope, while the 'top' would always remain level.

I'll just assume that it can't be done!

B

Current Local Time
    01:34 AM

we have to have some level of "working" on REVIT

Current Local Time

You have to decide (with Always vertical) if the BOTTOM is level, or coplaner with the roof. Unfortunately, you cant intelligent alter the top from that, aside from parameters with angles in them. My last experiment with trying to put an Always Vertical (shared) family inside a (Roof hosted non vertical) family taught me that the 'Always Vertical' thing is relative to the specific file you put it in, meaning it wouldnt work correctly in the project. It would be "vertical" in the Parent Family. Suckage.

Typically (as much as i hate to say it) i will tell them to be "always vertical" and handle it with detailing. Because unless you get that set of angle variables dead nuts on, you wont be able to dimension that family off of ANYTHING in a roof plan. So its draft the detailing, or draft the dimensions, LOL.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by B Arch View Post
    Thanks all.

I was hoping someone had a trick to create a pad that would automatically adapt it's 'bottom' to the roof slope, while the 'top' would always remain level.

I'll just assume that it can't be done!

B
    I was looking for something else and ran across this thread. Doubt you still need this, but someone else might. I created this for my last project, and while the slope isn't an instance parameter or smart to the pitch of the roof, it is editable by creating new families. IOW, the attached file is for a 1/2" per foot sloping roof. There's a formula for "Rise of Slope" that is
    Code:
    (Length * .5) * .083333
    which is 1/2 length of curb / 12, essentially 1/2" per foot slope. To get a 1/4" slope, you'd do
    Code:
    (Length * .25) * .083333
    and so forth.

It hosts to the roof at the "short" end.

It was made on the fly and suited our immediate purposes, so be gentle if you find something wrong with it. And by all means, feel free to modify and share what you've learned.

It has symbolic cricket lines, too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John McCamont; August 25th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Current Local Time

(old thread, but) I've recently bumped up against this problem, and my solution for a flat curb was to use a bit of roof sketched to the required size, raised 6" minimum above the main minimally slope roof, then to use the "join geometry" tool to remove the excess "curb" at its intersection with the main roof. It's not a curb family but shows up correctly (although very simply) in any view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 2.32.54 PM.png  
    Last edited by lost again again; November 24th, 2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: correction: "join geometry" not cut.