Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859

Thread: Revit Hardware : Video Graphic Cards

1.    #581
    Current Local Time
    02:54 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thx for the all the additional feedback. Especially on GPU. I'll try to go w/ NVIDIA. But therein lies a conundrum: Autodesk only tests the Quadro, and they are currently PCIe 3. Not that Autodesk support matters much, as I've heard/read many systems running Nvidia gaming cards just fine. The GeForce 30xx cards are all marked up by scalpers 125% - 150%. Not sure when restock will happen.

If I'm gonna build a new box, I'm gonna go w/ PCIe 4. I get that it may not make a noticeable difference in Revit. I plan to run dual M.2 drives, one for OS and software and the other for Revit projects. I'm a small solo practice and keep all data locally. I should go to a cloud service and download project files to work on them. And then I'd still put them on the 2nd M.2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2.    #582
    Current Local Time

I'm willing to over-pay 40% +/- for an AMD Ryzen 9 CPU, if that'sall I'm over paying for. Its the GPU I'm stuck on at the moment... once I get that figured out, everything else is pretty well sorted out.

3.    #583
    Current Local Time

That thought process brought me to consider the AMD Pro W5700 GPU: its their newest Pro card, PCIe 4, its a Pro card so gamers and miners don't want it and its available at msrp. But the performance / driver issues you guys speak of make me hesitant.

4.    #584
    Current Local Time
    08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Thx for the all the additional feedback. Especially on GPU. I'll try to go w/ NVIDIA. But therein lies a conundrum: Autodesk only tests the Quadro, and they are currently PCIe 3. Not that Autodesk support matters much, as I've heard/read many systems running Nvidia gaming cards just fine. The GeForce 30xx cards are all marked up by scalpers 125% - 150%. Not sure when restock will happen.

If I'm gonna build a new box, I'm gonna go w/ PCIe 4. I get that it may not make a noticeable difference in Revit. I plan to run dual M.2 drives, one for OS and software and the other for Revit projects. I'm a small solo practice and keep all data locally. I should go to a cloud service and download project files to work on them. And then I'd still put them on the 2nd M.2.

Are you going to use this machine for production? IE to produce income to support yourself?

The answer to this should drive how you store your data, not PCIe.

What will your backup & data security plan be?

5.    #585
    Current Local Time
    08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    The minimum requirements for a graphics card for Revit 2020 is 4Gb memory, that one as 4Gb so should work OK.
    BUT don't expect to run Enscape on it very well for example
    We are running alot of systems with GT 1030's with 2gb, using rvt 2021 w/ 4k displays. Haven't seen any issues or complaints.. Loading a really heavy model in realistic mode does push the memory usage to 1.8GB though..

Does anyone see greater then 2GB usage on video memory?

6.    #586
    Current Local Time
    01:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dreddy View Post
    We are running alot of systems with GT 1030's with 2gb, using rvt 2021 w/ 4k displays. Haven't seen any issues or complaints.. Loading a really heavy model in realistic mode does push the memory usage to 1.8GB though..

Does anyone see greater then 2GB usage on video memory?
    Asus ROG Strix 3070 - (with AutoCad, Google Chrome, and Thunderbird email open in the background) - decently large residential model open in Revit = stayed steady around 3.1 GB usage. Opened the Enscape window....and it popped up to 5.5 GB. Zoomed around, and stared at the Sun a bunch....and it somewhat peaked at 5.7 GB. My 3070 barely feels all this. The fans don't even ramp up. GPU temp topped at about 53 C

*edit* - forgot to mention. Had 2 projects open in Revit. With a number of tabs open.

If I listen carefully, I can actually hear my GPU "yawn"......as I do my work..
    Last edited by Lyle_Kat; January 12th, 2021 at 07:54 PM.

7.    #587
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dreddy View Post
    Are you going to use this machine for production? IE to produce income to support yourself?

The answer to this should drive how you store your data, not PCIe.

What will your backup & data security plan be?
    Yes, this machine will be my main income generator. I use Carbonite and NAS for back-up. There's no connection between data security and PCIe 4. I'm thinking of future-proofing the system as much as is reasonable. I get it may be overkill.

8.    #588
    Current Local Time
    12:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Yes, this machine will be my main income generator. I use Carbonite and NAS for back-up. There's no connection between data security and PCIe 4. I'm thinking of future-proofing the system as much as is reasonable. I get it may be overkill.

The best advice I would have if going Radeon pro or Quadro is to compare against the gaming models so you get an idea of the level of performance you get. For example the $1800 Radeon pro 7 has the same amount of stream processors as the 6800 GPU so you can likely expect very similar performance for AEC work. Granted the Pro 7 has 16GB HBM2 memory vs 8GB ddr6 but that said, it likely will have no impact or not enough of an impact to justify that markup. I am ONLY sharing this so you can make an educated decision on your choice. No one would fault you for still getting the pro card, I know I wouldn't but rather you understand that. Sometimes my clients want Quadro despite the added price and that is ok.