Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Sweep Profiles by paramater

  1. #1
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,392
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!

    Sweep Profiles by paramater

    I'm making a downspout family and am trying to control the profile family (nested) with a paramater and it doesn't seem to have an option to do so. Is this possible and I'm doing it wrong or am I s.o.l.?

    The DS is created with a sweep along a path and I have a few paramaters controlling heights and roof overhangs etc. Not overly complex (yet )

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 19, 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    528
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    I'm making a downspout family and am trying to control the profile family (nested) with a paramater and it doesn't seem to have an option to do so. Is this possible and I'm doing it wrong or am I s.o.l.?

    The DS is created with a sweep along a path and I have a few paramaters controlling heights and roof overhangs etc. Not overly complex (yet )
    It should be possible. Have you carried the parameters through from the nested family (child) to the main family (parent)?

  3. #3
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,392
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    As far as I know..

    I'm trying to get the profile shape (round, rectangle) to be adjustable with a paramater. I was hoping for something similar to applying a label to a door panel but I'm not finding anything. Both profiles are seperate families that are loaded into the downspout and selected in the sweep sketchmode.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 19, 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    528
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    As far as I know..

    I'm trying to get the profile shape (round, rectangle) to be adjustable with a paramater. I was hoping for something similar to applying a label to a door panel but I'm not finding anything. Both profiles are seperate families that are loaded into the downspout and selected in the sweep sketchmode.
    You're trying to add a parameter to the profile selection process inside of a sweep?

    As far as I know that is not possible (yet). You may need to make two sweeps and control their visibility that way.

  5. #5
    Autodesk JeffH's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13, 2010
    Location
    The Ivory Tower (Manchester NH)
    Posts
    808
    Current Local Time
    10:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    As far as I know..

    I'm trying to get the profile shape (round, rectangle) to be adjustable with a paramater. I was hoping for something similar to applying a label to a door panel but I'm not finding anything. Both profiles are seperate families that are loaded into the downspout and selected in the sweep sketchmode.
    You can't switch profile shapes like this (round to square) in a family. You can control the general size of the profile used by hooking up the parameters in the nested profile family to parameters in the host famil, but you can't completly change the profile family being used.

  6. #6
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,392
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gotcha.

    Thanks

    edit:
    Jeff - I did manage to stumble through linking paramaters in the profile to the family and even managed to get it to flex correctly (woo!) I just wasn't sure if I could swap it around in a manner similar to a nested door panel.
    Last edited by cellophane; March 20th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 19, 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    528
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Gotcha.

    Thanks
    With a downspout, you could just have a parameter that adjusts a fillet radius at the corners, leaving a 1/16" straight line between them when "round" and a 1/32" fillet when "rectangular". Does anybody care if these profiles are exact?
    Last edited by Andrew K; March 20th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,392
    Current Local Time
    09:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    not that I know of. I thought of that shortly after posting - I have a fillet paramater in the profile anyways, I'll try to link it up in a bit.

  9. #9
    French Moderator jbenoit44's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Nantes, France
    Posts
    1,381
    Current Local Time
    04:47 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    You can't switch profile shapes like this (round to square) in a family. You can control the general size of the profile used by hooking up the parameters in the nested profile family to parameters in the host famil, but you can't completly change the profile family being used.
    Well, I have to disagree. Doable with Adaptiv Component. See attached. 2 types, square and circle, the nested profile updates by type. sorry, not perfectly done, but less than 2 min.

    Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  10. #10
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,596
    Current Local Time
    06:47 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenoit44 View Post
    Well, I have to disagree. Doable with Adaptiv Component. See attached. 2 types, square and circle, the nested profile updates by type. sorry, not perfectly done, but less than 2 min.

    Hope it helps.
    that is cool Julien, thanks for posting!

Similar Threads

  1. Traditional wood Raised Panel system profiles?
    By spotless in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 7th, 2012, 08:54 PM
  2. nesting mullion profiles
    By stl4310 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
  3. Weatherboard Wall profiles?
    By SammyLee in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
  4. Profiles in Sweeps
    By dzatto in forum Tutorials, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •