Thread: Model management for campus site - splitting up a model.

Current Local Time
    10:36 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Model management for campus site - splitting up a model.

I have done some reading up on why to split up revit models and the general consensus is due to file size. Best practice is "to break up a large model into multiple files of about 160 MB each for 32-bit Revit, or 200 MB for 64-bit Revit, then link together the resulting project files". Preferably this is done as early in the design / modeling phase. I have a very large site with around 10 different buildings, all with different level heights and grids, scattered over the site.

What I cannot seem to find is how link the different files together; what structure to use. What can you recommend:
    - link all model files in a site plan and organise views and sheets from here.
    - link all model files in a site plan but organise views and sheets in the respective model file.
    - link all model files (including site plan) in a blank file and organise views and sheets from here.
    - split every model file into a model and sheet file and then link all model files to their respective sheet file. Additionally link all model files into a site plan. (a "sheet file" would comprise only of views and sheets).
    - other options?

Would appreciate if you can help me out on this one. <mac>

Current Local Time

Personally, I'd have multiple models (one or more per building depending on their size and complexity) all linked into a blank host model, with building-specific views and sheets within each building model, and only site-wide views, schedules and sheets within the host model.

I would try to avoid the use of Linked Views as much as I could - and employ plan regions and scope boxes from a "top down" approach - the same with the grid and levels, in the "master" (or "host" model I would maintain a site/campus level of grid/zoning structure, then condense down to building-specific grids and levels in their respective models (no point trying to juggle copy/monitor changes across so many buildings)

But before committing to anything I would trial any setup of this nature so that it works how you/your team need it to. And the very first thing to be done on model setups like this (always) is establish shared coordinates and locations from the outset.

Considerations : family (loaded and system) type management = if any of the buildings are alike, (construction wise) then you will need to consider a means to document alike elements once, rather than per building - and plan a way to "push" the global changes through. I would probably setup a Types phase in the host model, where I could control all alike wall/floor/roof constructions (it'd be the best place to manage-through-schedules everything on the campus anyway) and document them there (then use dummy callouts in the respective building models to "point" to these details)
    Last edited by snowyweston; June 5th, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Current Local Time

Snow: currently I do not have a site survey. Can I later on in the design process changes the shared coordinates? (I would still implement it from the beginning only with different values).

And as the buildings will be the same I was thinking of a "family template" file and load this manually in every model file. Or could this be in the host model? What do you exactly mean by Types phase?

Thanks <mac>

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by macroen View Post
    Snow: currently I do not have a site survey. Can I later on in the design process changes the shared coordinates? (I would still implement it from the beginning only with different values).
    Yes, you can. It's never nice doing it retrospectively - but often needs must. Run with a "placeholder" site model for the time being, then when you get the updated data, edit that first, then populate the changes through the other models.

Quote Originally Posted by macroen View Post
    And as the buildings will be the same I was thinking of a "family template" file and load this manually in every model file. Or could this be in the host model? What do you exactly mean by Types phase?
    Will they be exactly the same, or alike? If the former, you may wish to look at multiple-instance placement of a singular model. Then you could do all your types management/documentation in a single file.

If the latter, a "Types" phase is a method many people employ to model/document elements in a pre-existing phase, (so that schedule counts aren't affected) - even on single-model projects - but (I find) the method really comes into it's own when managing types across multiple models. You're suggestion of "a family template file" could probably be employed in the same way - populate that, then with it open, use TPS to push changes through to the other models. But I try to avoid adding extra models.