Thread: Plumb Cut in 3D Family

Current Local Time
    06:41 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Plumb Cut in 3D Family

Hello all. I am fairly new to 3D family creation and am having some problems getting this to work! I am trying to create a void within the OOTB W-Wide Flange beam family (or any beam family for that matter) so that I can apply a plumb cut to the start or end. The problem I am having is when I try and apply a parameter for the angle of the plumb cut. I have created the void without a problem, it is simply the constraints which are giving me problems. I've attached images of what I have been trying. When I apply the parameter to the angular dimension I get error warnings that the constraints cannot be satisfied. I've aligned and locked the vertical and horizontal legs of the void extrusion to the appropriate reference planes such that the void flexes properly with the family. However, it seems that Revit is trying to rotate the reference plane to meet the angular parameter rather than rotating the angled leg of the void extrusion. This seems to occur whether I place the angular constraint in the "Extrusion Editor" or outside the editor in the family itself.

What am I missing here? Your input is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plumb Cut 2.jpg   Plumb Cut 1.jpg   Plumb Cut 3.jpg  

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    07:41 PM

First guess, are you using a reference plane to drive the angle? If so, don't. You need to use a reference line to drive an angle parameter. Planes don't really have a beginning or an end, they just go on forever, so Revit won't know where to pivot the angle.

Another option (which I use) is to forgo putting the plumb cut in the family. Just go to a section view of your building, draw a vertical reference plane and name it (one for each end). Then, use the cut tool to trim the beam back and make it plumb.

This works for me because my buildings are small and rectangular. So one plane on each side works for all of my beams. This may not work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there for ya.
    Last edited by dzatto; June 28th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Current Local Time
    06:41 PM

Thanks dzatto, I forgot about the difference between reference planes and reference lines. I actually wasn't using a reference plane or line to drive the angle, I was applying the angle parameter from the vertical reference plane to the line sketched for the void. I'm trying to get around using the reference plane and cut tool because we have large scale projects which could end up being time consuming to cut all the members with the reference line. I will try modifying the void using reference lines to drive the angular parameter.

Thanks for the input!

Current Local Time
    05:41 PM

Also Eric, try to use ALL Reference planes and Reference lines before applying any Geometry, this will make your families work better and plus, it's easier in the end.