Thread: P-trap

Current Local Time
    03:15 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Unhappy P-trap

My company typically shows all piping single line. We have the rise and drop symbols but the p-trap symbol is a straight line...and unacceptable to the engineers I work with. We are looking for the single line symbol for a trap attatched to the p-trap family that would be annotative when placed in plan view. (currently the annotative "symbol" if you will is a straight line...not acceptable)

I don't understand why the p-trap comes in, in plan view shown wrong. In plan view I should be looking at the top of the p-trap, not the side of the p-trap.

I've tried many times to get an annotative symbol to come in on the p-trap but because the "symbol" needs to be on the "left" side of the p-trap, because the "left side" is the plan view side we see in plan view it won't work.

My conclusion here is I have to completely redo the p-trap symbol to get it to work properly as my company would see it.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jimbob; July 3rd, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Current Local Time
    04:15 PM

Same Issue - No simple solution

I have the same issue at my firm, they are used to seeing it one way and in Revit, it doesn't always look the same, I have had to fake it for printing purposes, which defeats the purpose of having a continuous model. We have also had issue with Wyes & 8th bends. When connecting to the Wyes there is a huge space and the 8th bends come in much smaller. I still haven't worked out an ideal solution, just ways to make it look the way they want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    My company typically shows all piping single line. We have the rise and drop symbols but the p-trap symbol is a straight line...and unacceptable to the engineers I work with. We are looking for the single line symbol for a trap attatched to the p-trap family that would be annotative when placed in plan view. (currently the annotative "symbol" if you will is a straight line...not acceptable)

I don't understand why the p-trap comes in, in plan view shown wrong. In plan view I should be looking at the top of the p-trap, not the side of the p-trap.

I've tried many times to get an annotative symbol to come in on the p-trap but because the "symbol" needs to be on the "left" side of the p-trap, because the "left side" is the plan view side we see in plan view it won't work.

My conclusion here is I have to completely redo the p-trap symbol to get it to work properly as my company would see it.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current Local Time
    03:15 PM

You just have to get under the hood and get your hands dirty is all. I agree... the p-trap was very poorly executed. Why they created the p-trap Family rotated 90░ is beyond me. But most things OOTB with Revit I have personally modified, and still plan to modify. Adding in the symbolic linework to a Family to make it represent the way people are used to is not that difficult of a task, really. But if the Revit team did do something that fits a visual standard by most/some, then it still isn't right for the other half of the people out there so it still won't be a win-win. This is where you, as the Revit user you're paid to be, ought to jump in the Family and add/modify the items for your company to fit the company standards.

We are all here to assist if you want to give it a shot. Welcome to the RFO community, btw.

-TZ

Current Local Time
    04:15 PM

Looking to up my Revit Skills

Thanks,

I agree, unfortunately as in many companies there is a structure of who is to do what, etc... I've been trying for a year to change some of the SOPs or even getting a meeting with all the Revit drafters so we can built solid default settings (It's yet to happen). As it is with each project things seem to change. What works on one, doesn't work on another. I would like to change that.

Do you know where I could find a good tutorial for building 2D representations to change things like a P-Trap? I haven't been able to find much. I have already found how to change family relationships so to add the P-Trap to the elbow family but the trap still doesn't look the way they want it, so we don't use it and often fake it so it look the way they want to see it, but isn't the way it should be IMO.

I've been using Revit for a little over a year and have experience with 2014 & 2015. I've built some basic 3D representations, but nothing complex. We use a couple different software applications in our office and have used Revit about half of the time, so I may have 8 months on Revit. My office doesn't seem to have a drawing guru and I would like to become that person.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tzframpton View Post
    You just have to get under the hood and get your hands dirty is all. I agree... the p-trap was very poorly executed. Why they created the p-trap Family rotated 90░ is beyond me. But most things OOTB with Revit I have personally modified, and still plan to modify. Adding in the symbolic linework to a Family to make it represent the way people are used to is not that difficult of a task, really. But if the Revit team did do something that fits a visual standard by most/some, then it still isn't right for the other half of the people out there so it still won't be a win-win. This is where you, as the Revit user you're paid to be, ought to jump in the Family and add/modify the items for your company to fit the company standards.

We are all here to assist if you want to give it a shot. Welcome to the RFO community, btw.

-TZ